Thursday, May 9, 2013

MORE PUMPKINS AND PLAYING

Today seems to have disappeared very quickly...amazing when you are involved in doing something that makes you happy how quickly time can run away from you! I went for a walk early with Bear, our golden retriever who loves to love whatever he does...if it is with either E or me...E being the big one in the house....my husband in other words!
I was determined to paint today so had another go at the pumpkins I bought at the local market a couple of weeks ago. They are great to paint as they last for ages and the colours are so wonderful. I think my pumpkins have improved but there is more I need to do...put some highlights into them, I think it is a matter of lifting some lights on each pumpkin. I've also been very liberal with washes as experiments and will come back to some of these tomorrow, the rose hips are appearing in one of these beginning washes, I am reading, learning from Jean Haines' book ATMOSPHERIC COLOURS http://www.jeanhaines.com/. I absolutely love her work, the freedom with which she works and so I guess some of my washes are inspired by her. The pumpkins are not the way she would have just suggested them but I think I have been 'looser' whilst painting. But not a loose woman I hope!
I've also been wandering in the garden trying to capture the richness of the pelargonium leaves as they change into their Autumn clothes. I don't think the photos are quite as deep in colour as they should be though.
Dinner calls so I'm off to the kitchen!













8 comments:

  1. Hi Mrs A, your pumpkins are really nice. Yes that painting style of Jean Haines brings a lot of freedom. Sometimes I also play with her way of painting, very loose.
    The colors of the flowers and their leaves are very autumn, fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for visiting and commenting. It is so encouraging when you have feedback about what,you are doing! Mrs A

      Delete
  2. The pumpkins are looking good - are you going to add some other color to the violet one? I like that it's just loose enough :) ha ha Great photos, too! Happy painting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful painting, lovely washes of gorgeous flowing colour. Sigh...painting is wonderful isn't it!
    Those pelargoniums are fabulous.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your painting is lovely, such beautiful colours.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mrs. A - those pumpkins are lovely. I like the loose style you painted them. I too love Jean Haines work...I do so want to get a copy of her book. I need to check that out online - isn't it such fun to splash paint all around and see what happens? Have a beautiful autumn day - we are having a spring one in Ohio, USA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankyou my friends for all your comments, lovely to know you are looking! Rhonda, yes, have been doing a bit just now, will post again when I might have finished?!? Love to you all, Mrs A

    ReplyDelete