Saturday, April 17, 2010

AUTUMN OR IS IT SPRING






Officially it is Autumn here in Australia but there seems to be a tad of confusion here at Winterfold. My lovely old prunus has decided to flower, better than I have ever seen it! Another old plum tree also showed a few flowers. Usually at this time of the year, everything in the garden is parched and strung out, a little like me after the long hot summers. However this year we have had small regular falls through the summer and recently had some quite heavy falls. Which means green, green and more green! We even have a lawn that looks like a lawn, amazing!! Oh, and roses!!








Mushrooms are here again, lots of warm days and the moist soil, a great combiation for them!Going out on a sunny day with a basket and returning with it full of field mushrooms collected from one's own paddocks is one of the treats of living in the country! We have had several meals as they are huge, and just sooo delicious! Pasta with musrooms, cream, pine nuts and onion is our favourite so far.

I'm also back to walking and gardening. The two dogs are happy too. Our older ex guide[ seeing-eye] labrador is happy just ambling along with me but the young golden retriever,[shhhhhhhhh, a reject guide dog, we don't like to mention the 'r' word near him,] is not very good at coming back to me when he finds delicious smells along the way. But the joy on his face when he returns to me is wonderful! Bear, the retriever was a bit too anxious to work so ha has come to a quiet[?] life here with us. He adores the children who come and is always right in the middle of their game
This is my first post, after several attempts! I have a lot to learn with the placement of the photos but am very pleased to have made a start. Now I must walk the dogs, and get into the garden, the weeds are multiplying and I must begin the cutting back, but not the roses, they will wait for a late prune. Love Aubrey ----or Mum!






No comments:

Post a Comment